Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 2nd

Today is about the kindness of strangers. As I mentioned before, my uncle passed away just before the holidays. He was killed in a tragic car accident. He was an amazing man, and there are probably thousands of people who think that too.

Anyway, the day of the memorial service, the family found out that the school in the small town where my uncle lived was naming the wrestling room after him. He actually helped build the room many years ago. Unfortunately, the room is in need of a big renovation, and the family has decided that they will not put his name on the room until it is renovated. We have been fundraising in a variety of ways.

One way is doing the superbowl square game, where people pay money to buy "squares" on a grid, and then numbers are randomly placed on the top and side of the grid. Whoever has the last numbers of the two teams at the end of each quarter get a prize. I've been struggling to fill in the 100 square board. My husband had the idea to put it out on a board in which he's a member. Within an hour I had two emails from people we had never met offering condolences and asking how to buy squares. One guy even said if he won he wanted the prize to go back to the wrestling room. My heart is so warmed by these two guys being so very generous. People are just amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment